- What is it and who participates?
- When is it?
- How does it work? (Daily Schedule)
- Is this class graded?
This 55 minute mentoring/tutorial period is time set aside during the regular school day for students receive:
- School safety, policy, and procedural information
- Support and guidance on digital learning tools
- Social-emotional learning support and stategies
- Academic mentoring support
Additionally, students will have time to work on their class activities and homework. This time will also provide opportunities for focused reteaching, intervention help, or enrichment opportunities. Teachers will request specific students who need intervention or enrichment. Departments will be assigned a day of the week to coordinate this personalized learning opportunities for individuals or small groups. These interactions may occur digitally (through the Canvas learning management platform) or in-person.
All students participate in homework completion or digital learning activities when they are not summoned.
This course provides 9th graders with a full elective credit.
- Students should enter class, sit down, and the teacher will take roll.
- Announcements and the pledge will be delivered through audio/video recording and presented at the beginning of each Spartan Academy period.
- Teachers will facilitate and direct a provided curriculum with short weekly instruction (10-15 minutes). Absent students will be able to access the lesson/material through Canvas. The curriculum will be simple and include three key areas: School Procedures and Safety, Digital Learning Support, and Social-Emotional Learning
- Students will have 30-40 minutes each day to complete schoolwork during Spartan Academy. Teachers will still “summon” specific groups of students on assigned days. Teachers may “summon” students to attend a face-to-face learning activity on assigned days or an individual or group “digital summons” through Canvas Conferences.
Spartan Academy will be a Pass/Fail course. Students will receive a passing grade (P) with 80% percent or better attendance. A citizenship grade will also be given in this course. The course citizenship will be based on behavior and completion of the essential lessons in the Spartan Academy Canvas tool. These lessons are short and cover school policies, study skills, goal setting, and managing stress/anxiety. The citizenship grade is determined as follows:
- H = No tardies, helps others, follows all directions, works on homework/reading, completes Essential activities each term.
- G = 1 tardy, follows most directions, regularly works on homework/reading, completes Essential activities.
- S = 2 tardies, minor class disruptions, frequently works on homework/reading, completes 1 or more Essential activities.
- N = 3 tardies, frequently disruptive, does not work on homework/reading, requires teacher intervention before completing Essential activities.
- U = 4 or more tardies, truancy, major disruption(s), does not work on homework or reading, does not complete any Essential activities.